How do I get rid of gnats in my house?
Home Organizing & Cleaning / 6:38 PM - Tuesday August 11, 2009

How do I get rid of gnats in my house?

I have these pesky gnats flying all around, they started I do belive when my girlfriend brought me a pineapple, I've had them since. PLEASE HELP!

- Asked by ch3rrirain, A Budget-minded, Female, 36-45

Did them come in with the pineapple or have you over watered some houseplant and they are coming from the rotting roots?
I'd open the windows. Walk around and clean out all your garbage cans and your disposal and also put some epsom salts on your plants and water them a little to drive it down into the soil a bit and then sprinkle a little more on. It should kill them if they are coming from your plants.

- Response by joybird, A Budget-minded, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

I think you have to spray with flykiller lightly...sorry. Make sure all fruit and residue on contertops and gargage cans is gone.

- Response by oneirishwitch, Female, 56-65, Artist / Musician / Writer

They are fruit flies. Make sure you never leave any open food out on the counter over night, or at all for that matter. They can even get out of hand by an open bag of dog food. Rinse all your dishes right away and get any food matter off of them. Have a garbage can with a lid. Other than that, it will get cold soon and they will go away.

- Response by Female, 36-45

red wine vinegar in a small cup, they will fly in and drown...

- Response by osieboo, Female, 56-65

set our saucers of vinegar,an idea that still works.

- Response by marjoycek, A Grandmother, Female, 56-65, Retail

Fruit flies are the bane of fruit lovers. I got them and they probably came in on a pineapple. I used a cup of vinegar as suggested, but when that didn't work, I used a fly killer spray. This helped for three weeks. But they're ba-a-a-ck! I'm using the killer spray again.

- Response by rholuc, Female, 66 or older, Retired