How do I get rid of mildew and moldy odor from dish rags, dish towels and bath towels.
Home Organizing & Cleaning / 1:54 PM - Monday August 03, 2009

I use a little bit of extra laundry detergent, fill the washer with hot water and let them soak for an hour. I run them through. And then I reapeat the process. After the second time they are run through, I IMMEDIATELY put them in the dryer with double the fabric softener sheets. Seems to fix any problems that I've had.

Any time you leave wet clothes in the washer, or anywhere for a matter of hours, they are bound to smell like mildew once they dry. YUCK.

I've had to rewash entire baskets of laundry b/c I waited too long to put em in the dryer.

- Response by trueseeker82, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

Add Borax to the wash water....or vinegar to the last rinse.

- Response by barbb, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

hot soapy detergent and some clorox in the wash water

- Response by daffodils2008, Female, 56-65, Medical / Dental

I forgot to say to dry them in the sun, too.

Wash in the hottest water possible with a good detergent; add a cup of vinegar to the rinse water. Whites can have a cup of bleach added to the wash water. To prevent this situation, always hang up wet items to dry before throwing together in a hamper or laundry basket.

- Response by pamiejune77, A DIY Expert, Female, 56-65, Therapist