Back to User's Profile

How do I get blood work up done? My surgeon won't proceed to schedule my Gastric til it's been done.
Weight & Wellness / 9:28 PM - Monday July 27, 2009

My general practioner is on vacation. I need blood work completed before surgery can go forward. This doc is not coming back from vacation for a month and I don't want to wait that long. What can I do to get this blood work done sooner?

- Asked by cococrispy68, Female, 46-55, Sacramento, Home Maker

Actually your family doctor will probably not do the blood work for you to have another doctor work on you, the Surgeon should write a lab blood workup for you for what he wants done. Is Ca different than most of the rest of the U.S?

- Response by phoenixbandit, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Columbus, Law Enforcement

As the surgeon to order it done.

- Response by barbb, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

Is there a Lab Corp there? Google it...

- Response by ttlicious, Female, 46-55

They have to have a doctor who is a back-up for your GP. Find out who that is and get the blood work done there.

If that fails, go to a new doctor as a new patinet and tell them that the reason you are there is to get a blood work-up done.

If they are giving you a hard time about it, tell them that you are sick if you have to. (That is a good way to get some preventative testing done too, btw.)

One more idea is to ask your surgeon who you can go to. He/She should have some advice. =-)

- Response by cutypy5840, Female, 36-45, Medical / Dental

Why doesn't your surgeon order it? This should be part of the pre-op process.

- Response by kdtxchic30, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

I usually go to a separate lab place when I need blood work done....either a Lab Corp or Quest facility.

I am sure if you have the paperwork from the dr you can go anywhere

- Response by scooper, A Mom of Tweens, Female, 46-55, Dallas, Who Cares?

Does he have any associates that are taking over his practice while he is gone, how about in an emergency?

- Response by hulagirl55, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

Go to a different doctor that is within your health insurance network and get the blood work done immediately.

- Response by sleeksasy06, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

Places like Direct Laboratory Services offer online blood testing services. It's simple, inexpensive and confidential. You can go to www.directlabs.com and order the pre-qualifying blood tests needed. You print your requistion out at home, take it to a lab near you and you can have results in as little as 24 hours. They will even send the results to your surgeon for you. And, their prices are up to 80% off regular published lab prices.

- Response by Female, 36-45, New Orleans