Peroxide...in my EAR???
Weight & Wellness / 5:23 PM - Tuesday July 21, 2009

Peroxide...in my EAR???

I am prone to getting water in my ears. Even in the shower. And it HURTS when I get water in my ears. I was once in so much pain that much sister and brother-in-law poured peroxide in my ear to "draw the water out" well then I was in so much pain that I had to go to the ER.

So what is up with this old wives tale, and has it ever worked for anybody, b/c I can't see this as a smart thing to do???

Flushing the ears with warm water and h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) is a common practice- I did it in my clinic daily to break up and remove impacted cerumen.

- Response by stillagoodguy1, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Celebrity

Some people do use peroxide and are fine with it. I can't use it either. There is some stuff for swimmer's ear in the pharmacy. BUT I use sweet oil (found in the same place). It soothes.

- Response by solstess, Female, 46-55, Detroit, Artist / Musician / Writer

Sooo.. they thought a fluid substance would "draw" another fluid substance out?

I would suggest.. a shower cap.

Or if you have to, foam ear plugs.

And Q-Tips after the shower. Since cotton swabs WILL draw the water out.

- Response by steve67, A Rebel, Male, Who Cares?

You have what is called swimmers ear. There is a product called just that...Swim ear. It is made up of alcohol and boric acid. It dries out the ear and kills the virus.

- Response by barbb, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

I'm preeeeeeeeeeeetty sure you're supposed to put the peroxide on a cotton swab or q-tip... not pour it in your ear. That was all kinda of stupid on their part... jeez, common sense people!

- Response by sweetness04, Female, 26-28, Artist / Musician / Writer

I work around the water and there is an over the counter ear drop called "Ear Dry" that you can buy that takes care of the problem..peroxide is ok occasionally to clean wax but not to remove water..rubbing alchohol is used on a C-tip around the outer ear to withdrawl water but peroxide just breaks down wax..not good to use all the time..don't use the rubbing alchohol anywhere near a ear that is infected..it will cause lots of pain..later

- Response by cjs1991, Female, 46-55, Teaching

If it does not cause pain, peroxide is fine, if it causes pain, you need too see an ent...most likely pain is caused by an infection or a broken ear drum, (not good)...peroxide works on all organic substances, wax and infection being one of them. Bacteria is an organic substance and the ear is full of bacteria, not all bad and most of the bad will not hurt you, if in doubt, see your doctor...

- Response by phoenixbandit, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Columbus, Law Enforcement

the best thing for ear infection is the eardoc www.eardoc.info feel good:)

- Response by janegreen, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45

Sounds like you have underdeveloped ear tubes. It use to happen to me. It could also be swimmers ear.

Don't use peroxide. It works for people with developed ear tubes. Better seek the guidance of a doctor.

- Response by authorgirl, Female, 29-35, Student

You have to solve the problem of water getting into the ear in the first place...ear plugs. Get the largest diameter they have at the drug store.

- Response by cuoncloud9, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35

I use a small amount of warm water and peroxide to clean out my ears every once in a while. Make sure its just warm water as hot water will hurt. Why not get some wax ear plugs to use while in the shower. The go in easy and come out easy too.

- Response by tnix123, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, New York, Managerial