How can I add flavor to brown rice?
Recipes & Food / 7:08 PM - Thursday July 16, 2009

How can I add flavor to brown rice?

- Asked by moranch1, Female, 56-65, Calgary

Oh....I'm a huge fan of brown rice.

I usually cook it up with chicken base or chicken broth, and then add lots of veggies, some soy sauce, some garlic, pepper and some ground chilis (NOT chili powder).

I also love it cold with some olive oil and fresh herbs with diced carrots, broccoli and red pepper. Yum!

- Response by myndseye711, Female, 29-35, Bilbao, Celebrity

Raisins, eggs, creme, and sugar. ;)
You know that's rice pudding right?

No really....brown rice...maybe some lime juice, cilantro and diced scallions along with some roasted vegetables. If you want it sweet you could add a mango, papaya or guava juice and then throw in similar types of fruits cut into chunks.

- Response by joybird, A Budget-minded, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

Use broth (chicken or beef) as substitute for the liquid. The ends of green onions, finely chopped also add a nice flavor to the rice. Adding frozen peas can offer another variation, if you like that vegetable.

- Response by randyl, Female, Who Cares?, Los Angeles, Who Cares?

I like to cook it with mushrooms.

- Response by buffalothighs88, Female, 56-65, Other Profession

Before or after cooking? Before cooking, you can use different flavored broths to cook the rice instead of water. You can also dice up left-over chicken, pork or beef into TINY pieces and stir that in with the rice. I love to add soy sauce to everything, but that would be AFTER cooking.

- Response by cindyg62, Female, 46-55, Boston