How can I get rid of mildew and musty smell out of my LEATHER couch?
Sex & Intimacy / 8:46 AM - Tuesday July 14, 2009

My LEATHER couch has been sitting in my garage for a year and has been damaged by water. In particular, the side of the couch has white mildew all over it. I wiped this down with water and removed the visible white spots, however a very musty smell has now permeated the house. I am not sure if I actually removed all the mildew. Any recommendations?

- Asked by tamarac123456, A Stay-at-Home Mom, Female, 46-55, Montreal

If it has a musty smell then that probably means there is still "unseen" mildew on the fabric. Because if is leather you shouldn't use water. If it were my couch and if calling in a "professional" were out of the question (professional-- upholsterers and cleaning companies) then I would call a few and ask their advice. Depending on the type of leather (suede or gloss) will make a big difference on which products to use to first kill the bacteria from the mold/mildew and then which one to use to clean it. I have a sueded leather couch and use febreeze on it or lysol. Call around though and ask, because the couch can be saved with a little bit of time and elbow grease. :)

- Response by txsewbunny101, Female, 46-55, Student

yuk. it's a dead loss----chuck it.

- Response by ocelotspot, A Stay-at-Home Mom, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

I would take the cushions off, spray the fabric underneath with Fabreeze, take the whole sofa outside and allow it to sit in the sun for a full day. I would wipe the cushions with a mixture of water and bleach (very diluted). I'd take the cushions outside, too, and set them out as well...if you can unzip the cushions and take the padding out, I'd do that, too. Just air everything out in the sun.

When you bring the sofa back inside, you need to rub a leather conditioner all over the leather (or just use body lotion if you don't have a conditioner).

The sun should help, but if you bring it back inside and the smell comes back, you may have to trash the thing.

- Response by kiki812, Female, 36-45, Atlanta, Artist / Musician / Writer