Thank you for your many years of support. We want to share the news with you that after much consideration, will cease operations in its present format on October 15th. We appreciate your meaningful contributions over the years.
Back to Home

Active Questions

What should I do if someone keeps threatening me?
Random & Fun / 10:18 AM - Monday March 30, 2009

What should I do if someone keeps threatening me?

I'm having a problem with an ex-best friend of mine.

We were best friends for two & a half years. Our friendship fell apart for a couple different reasons. For one, she was openly flirting with my husband and two, she got angry with me because I didn't like her abusive, cheating ex-husband who she got back together with.

She asked my opinion, and I told her. Anyway, our arguing escalated & she started sending me e-mails cussing me out, calling me every name in the book & threatening me.

She said the next time she saw me, she'd beat me up. The way I see it, we're both 33 years old, we shouldn't be acting like teenagers!

I tried apologizing to her for anything I said or did wrong, but told her I want nothing to do with her anymore because she crossed the line.

I don't want people in my life whom I can't trust & are nothing but drama & problems. Me, my husband & her happened to show up at the same place just last night. She tried fighting me, but I walked away. Her sister & her friend had to stop her. That's when I called the police. They told me they can't do anything unless she actually does something to me.

I can take her to court, but I'm wondering if I should even bother? The police officer asked me why I didn't call & report her threats sooner. She started threatening me 3 months ago. I didn't report it because I don't want any problems.

In a way, this is all so petty & stupid! But I'm fed up with being threatened. She's the type of person who does drugs & drinks alot, and I know she will try to fight me, if she's got the chance. She knows where I live & what car I drive. And she's the type to have someone jump me, if she doesn't do it herself. And she's been known to vandalize someone's car in the past when she's angry with them.

My question is: should I take her to court & press charges? She needs to learn that she can't go around threatening someone & get away with it. My husband wants me to take her to court, but I'd have to pay for it.

I need some advice here. I just want all this to stop!

- Asked by A Working Gal, Female, 36-45, Student

Read more about the Rating System

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I can't stand immature people. She needs some serious counseling and definitly needs to grow up. In your case, YES, I would go to court and get a restraining order against her especially if she's known to do al the stuff. I wish you best of luck..

- Response by berrysweet28, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

Rating Received:

Community Rating: Community Star

i would take her crazy behind to court. If you still have those e-mails,print em for proof,if she calls you again record it,witnesses?,bring those too. If she's known to be the type to vandalize cars,set up a camera watching your car so if she does try you've got proof. I've dealt with crazy chicks like her before and it sucks!

- Response by misskitty420, Female, 29-35, Student

Rating Received:

I'd beat her ass. But if that's out of the question, yes take her to court. File a police report everytime she sends an email, calls or threatens. If she keeps it up and reports keep piling up, she will eventually be looking at felony charges.

- Response by bikerchick1, Female, 36-45, Atlanta, Financial / Banking

Rating Received:

You don't have to take her to court to get a restraining order. File for one with the civil court and then keep records of anything she does. This will enable the police to deal with her if she approaches you again.

- Response by maryea, Female, 56-65, Retired

Rating Received:

The restraining order is VERY will start the paper trail necessary if this gets taken to court. Keep all emails, texts, phone messages, from her and ALERT YOUR NEIGHBORS about any problems you are having with her. You need many EYES watching for you. They will be able to help if she ignores the restraining order.

I am so sorry that your BEST FRIEND turned out to be your worse nightmare :(

- Response by zibet58, Female, Who Cares?, Teaching

Rating Received:

Why were you best friends with someone who does drugs and drinks alot? I wouldn't go looking for it, but if she steps up, you gotta beat her ass.....

- Response by nicolegillenwater, Female, 36-45

Rating Received:

If she contacts you again, tell her that you will get the police involved. Try getting a restraining order to keep her away from you. I would seriously consider moving to a new location, get a new phone number and a new car if she persists. Avoid going to parties where you know she will be.

- Response by silver75, Female, 36-45, Stockholm, Other Profession

Rating Received:

- Response by A New Mom, Female, 26-28, Baltimore

Rating Received: