My niece wants to stay with me during her vacation but I do not know her..
Sex & Intimacy / 1:50 PM - Friday February 13, 2009

My sister and brother in law do not like me. My niece was invited to go on a trip with her friend and her friend's parents to my island. My niece and I talk casually on Facebook and she mentioned wanting to stay with me and not with the friends parents. I told her we would need to talk about it as I had house guests the same week. Well the niece apparently told all they could stay with me so the Dad did not get them a place to stay. Since that time their hotel is sold out. No one has communicated to me about this. Oddly enough I mentioned the trip to both my sister and brother in law in an email and they never mentioned it. Today my niece called (first time I have talked to her since she was 3 and she is now 17) and was so nice and polite and apologized for assuming she could stay with me. She told me her parents have not even communicated to the girl's parents yet. How odd is this? If you had a kid leaving the US going to the Caribbean wouldn't you clarify and participate in plans? HELL LOOK AT NATALEE HOLLOWAY...^%$# happens down here and even if I had room I am not sure I want to be responsible for two kids I do not know at ALL. My teen has had a few friends come down and the parents and I carefully plan and organize EVERYTHING.

My niece's call today was to "give me a heads up" her friend's dad was calling me this weekend.

What do I do? I may not be down the entire time they are on island and I already have a house guest so the kids would have to use my futon and could not stay the entire time.

Egads

- Asked by butternutbisque, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

Don't do anything you don't want to do...which is house these kids.

You're neice gave you the heads up...good for her. But you need to tell this dad that he needs to find other accomodations, as you just don't have them...sorry.

I would try and find time while my neice was there to spend a bit of time with her... I would like to know her. Maybe offer to take her and her friend out for an evening...maybe even offer a night or two that "would" work for me.

I don't understand her parents viewpoints...I would be all over "the whens and the wheres" if my teen was going out of country.

- Response by mamom04, Female, 56-65, Phoenix

My guess is there was some deceit somewhere.

- Response by dambreaker, A Father Figure, Male, 56-65, Retired

Okay, I would say this is a GREAT way to get to know your neice, but it's not going to work out at all.

You can't have two teenage girls in your home for however long while you have another house guest (god forbid, something happens in the house between the guest and the kids. They're angry at the kids, they make a slick comment and one of the girls over exaggerates in the retelling of it to her parents, I don't know, I'm assuming the worst here.) It would be one thing is you had a room for your guest AND a separate room for the girls AND you'd be there the whole time.

Leaving your guest with them may make them feel partially responsible for the kids. They're 17 on an island with no drinking age and without you around they may feel inclined to let loose. As you said, you don't know your niece well and because of this you don't know what you're getting yourself into. It's not your responsibility to take up the slack of the parents in this by offering your home when you obviously have to go out of your way to do so.

- Response by sweetness04, Female, 26-28, Artist / Musician / Writer

I think you should say no. fuck all that.

- Response by Female, 22-25