How do I get my cat to shut up in the mornings?
Pets / 8:03 AM - Thursday February 05, 2009

how do I get my cat to shut up in the mornings?

My cat starts crying very loudly as soon as he sees that I'm up, even if it's just to go to the bathroom and then back to bed. He leads me to his food dish, where I see that he hasn't finished eating what I put in there the night before, so he can't be that hungry. I have tried ignoring him, spraying him with water, and only feeding him when he's quiet and away from his food dish, but nothing seems to work.

I wake up a lot earlier than my boyfriend, and the cat being so loud in the mornings is really starting to annoy him. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Update: February 05, 2009.
thanks everyone for your answers. I do always make sure I give him lots of pets before I go to work, and he usually sleeps on top of me or at the foot of the bed, so I don't think he's that desperate for attention. He is a "talky" cat, but I was just wondering how to get him to quiet for that hour or so in the mornings. I'll try changing up his food and see if that helps. As far as my bf, he loves the little guy too, just not his volume 1st thing in the mornings.

- Asked by steff81, Female, 29-35, Teaching

I used to live with a g/f that had a cat like this.
And did the SAME thing with the food bowl ... he wanted one of us to actually watch him eat! (cats can be strange)
As for the morning cries, do you have a laser light? You can pick one up at most any pet stored, it's small.
When the cat is excited to see you awake and thinks you are ready to play, you can use the laser light from the comfort of your bed, and the cat will have fun chasing it around the room.
Hopefully, after several minutes, you can put down the light, and the cat will continue to pre-occupied with where the light is, and forget about crying at you.

- Response by andrewj5267, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Miami, Teaching

He wants attention and love. My cat does the same thing in the morning. I pet her for a few minutes, and then she goes back to sleep.

- Response by myndseye711, Female, 29-35, Vladivostok, Technical

Get a cat gag. Tie it around his mouth for the few hours in the a.m.

- Response by englishrose4945, Female, 66 or older, Miami, Alternative Medicine

maybe he needs attention steff.
cuddle him a bit & maybe he'll shut up.

- Response by mstoronto, Female, 22-25

Have ya' tried "petting him"????

- Response by bytor, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, Pittsburgh, Artist / Musician / Writer

He's just lonely. He hasn't seen you all night and he wants some attention.

My cats do the same thing. Try patting him for a minute and he'll quiet down.

And if you get up before your boyfriend, just shut the bedroom door so the cat doesn't wake him.

- Response by piscesrising, Female, Who Cares?, Boston, Internet / New Media

Cats are picky eaters and like their food "fresh" they can easily smell the difference in food just put out and that which has been sitting for a day and will meow for "fresh" food.

Try giving the cat tiny amounts,just enough for it to eat in a sitting and when it meows in the mornin pour a bit more into it's dish.

- Response by justme38271, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 46-55, Consulting

He's obviously bored and lonely.

Get him another cat to hang out with.

Preferably a fixed male.

- Response by lasikplus, Male, 46-55, Boston, Science / Engineering

Give your cat a chicken bone...
Cats love real cooked chicken ...my cat would put a 'dead' bird, on the sidewalk, outside of my front door ...as a way of saying, "Thanks for that delicious chicken sweetie pie!"

- Response by kismet331, Female, 36-45

I've had that happen with present and past kitties. I've found that entertaining them (giving them attention at night), playing with them will tire them out a little, and in the morning I give a brief pet, sweet nothings in the ear, and go back to sleep. They eventually get that it is time to cuddle (on the weekends) and we wake up later, and take care of critical things, like their food.

Everyone is happy.

- Response by lasuz, Female, Who Cares?, Administrative

he's wanting his time.... u said that your boyfriend is annoyed at the noise. so what u should do is maybe when u wake up to go to the bathroon go and have a moment with your cat. he wants your attention and u won't give it to him...try giving him some love and i'm sure he will stop the whining...and stop sptaying water on him they hate that that just makes him mad.

- Response by phenomenal1woman, Female, 46-55, Chicago

Have you tried picking the cat up and petting it for a few minutes ? maybe what he really wants is some human compassion and not someone being mean to him to get him to shut up- if it's really that much of an annoyance maybe you should find him a good home.

- Response by dogmom2, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

Do you feed him both wet and dry food at night? If so, then he's waiting for you to give him some more wet food and obviously doesn't like the dry food you are giving him. Maybe buy some cat treats and give these to him in the morning. hopefully this will stop him from crying. Also, try a different cat food. Good luck!

- Response by kdtxchic30, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

Some cats are just more vocal and perhaps neurotic than others. Maybe your kitty just wants a little cuddling and reassurance before you go about your business. He may be anticipating the fact that you will be leaving for work soon and he will be lonely. Maybe he dreads being left alone with your boyfriend who may not be treating him well in your absence.

Do you feed canned or dry food? Is the food left in his bowl fresh? Remember, canned food goes bad after a couple of hours at room temperature. Is his water fresh and clean?

I don't think you'll accomplish anything by spraying him with water. Try to find more loving ways to deal with this problem. In the end, you might have to make a choice between your annoyed boyfriend and your cat. Or you might have to find the cat a new home. Either way, good luck.

- Response by A Budget-minded, Female, 66 or older, Medical / Dental

First of all honey,stop spraying the cat,plain and simple.When you take on an animal it's just like taken on a child and you would not spray your child or some other crazy thing would you? maybe he wants to go out to potty,I have just like my screen name"5dogsand1cat",when I get up in the middle of the night,everybody goes outside the,and first thing in the AM they have to go out again.their control is not like ours,don't be surprised if the kitty starts pissing on you floors or on your clothes in retaliation for you spraying water on him.Pets are very smart,listen to what these people are telling you to do.

- Response by 5dogsand1cat, A DIY Expert, Female, 46-55

your cat has issues with your b/f propbably needs psychological counselling and medicine to sooth the hairy beast...Both b/f and cat.

- Response by classyclaws, Female, 46-55, Houston, Self-Employed

Meowing is the only form of communication that your cat knows. He's trying to tell you something. He's trying to have a conversation with you. Instead of being annoyed, listen to him. If you say he has food still in his bowl, add a little more. And while you're at it, change the water. Cats are finicky. Get down on his level for a few minutes and give him your undivided attention. Afterwards, he won't care whatelse you do for the rest of the day.

- Response by rhunt0210, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Other Profession

I don't know if this helps.But if there is just a little food in his dish,put some more in it.I read that cats will always leave some food in there dish.Something to do with there servival.They want to make sure they always have something to eat.It could be a bunch of bull,I don't know.But it might be worth a try.My cat will want more food in his dish when he only has a little.So I give him some more and it seems to satisfy him.Cats are so picky.Then again he might just be saying,"get out of bed and say good morning to me. :)

- Response by roanna, Female, 56-65, Self-Employed

find a gf/bf for the little beast.

- Response by amandasboy, A Father Figure, Male, Who Cares?, Other Profession

Maybe he's lonely, and needs a companion. Is he alone alot when you guys are at work? That may do the trick.

- Response by mysticdream44, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

Your cat just knows how to get some attention from you. My cat is 18, and she gets me up 1-2 times each night. Usually I give her a small spoon of canned food. If I'm upset about being awakened around 5am, I sometimes just throw a sock at her, and lock her out of the bedroom.

- Response by betterbird, A Creative, Male, 46-55, San Francisco, Administrative

I have a male cat who does the same thing every morning, no matter what time I get up or what time I start moving around...what I found was that he was wanting to go out and get some 'fresh' air and play around because he thinks that it's early enough for him to go 'hunting' for food or something...we now have a schedule where I will wake up about 5 or 6 in the morning and will let him out and by the time I wake up at 6:30, he's ready to come in and lay around the house for the rest of the day...I also tried feeding him 'new/fresh' food, tried cleaning his dish and putting fresh food, tried giving him milk, tried petting him for a few minutes but all these failed and it wasn't until I started letting him out for air that he stopped his crying...it might help but if you don't let your cat out, it might be that he just wants some outside air and maybe opening a window will help...:D

- Response by fastball, Female, 36-45, Edmonton, Self-Employed

Sounds like a Siamese. If so, resign yourself. They never shut up. Mine quiets down a bit when he's given lots of attention on a regular basis -- they're smarter and more sociable than your garden variety cat, so they need a lot more interactive stimulation.

Cat Arthur especially likes to start his speachifying when I get on the phone. People comment about the baby crying in the background.

- Response by pandorasfault, Female, 46-55, Teaching