Reasons for not paying bills
Random & Fun / 2:37 PM - Wednesday November 14, 2007

Reasons for not paying bills

I have a friend who is in jeopardy of losing her job due to some new guidelines at work where they now do credit checks on their employees. She has to justify why she hasn't paid a lot of old bills, medical and old charges.

Any creative minds out there that can help her come up with decent excuses. Any excuses you can think of will be appreciated ..

- Asked by rainynights, Female, 56-65, Columbus, Self-Employed

I don't think excuses will cut it unless they are unpaid bills due to a divorce or the like that were her ex husband's responsibility.

Why not instead call the creditors and work it out, or make an appointment with CCC (consumer credit counselors) for assistance.

However I must say if she has been a valuable employee this should not impact her job as this point. It should be for new hires in my opinion.

- Response by lasuz, Female, Who Cares?, Medical / Dental

Not an excuse,
but can she handle the problem?
If she has to justify, why not rectify it?
Pay off bills, get them off her record, do something proactive for herself.
Or be able to explain clearly why she has those bills? Was there a divorce, medical reason for the unpaid bills.

- Response by carolynspoonire, A Rebel, Female, 56-65, Philadelphia, Medical / Dental

Just a thought here, but how about she actually try to start PAYING some of them? As an employer that would show me her good faith intent much more than her trying to come up with excuses as to why she disregards her debt instead. That kind of thing hurts us all. We all pay more for every single service to make up for those that do not.

- Response by aoluserchick, Female, 46-55, Consulting

How about "I didn't have the money."

WTF business is it of theirs anyway? What personal issues do employers want to control next? They already can fire you for smoking and being overweight. Next it will be because they don't like your religion or your taste in entertainment. Talk about invasion of privacy, geesh!

- Response by justpassingthru, Female, 56-65, Financial / Banking

That happened to my sister...they told her they would hire her if she cleared up some credit issues! I would work on it from a "boyfriend or s/o" charges.....and then get it straightened out.

Good luck!

- Response by kanaka, A Life of the Party, Male, 46-55, Dallas, Executive

I wasn't aware that a company could fire an employee because of that. I knew they could use it to decide to hire and employee, but not fire one. She may want to talk to a lawyer.

If she has to think of an excuse, then she doesn't have a good reason. If she has a valid reason, then she just needs to tell the truth.

- Response by underthestars, Female, 36-45, San Jose, Medical / Dental