The Best Of Answerology

Leaving coffee out overnight
Weight & Wellness

leaving coffee out overnight

anything wrong w/drinking coffee that's been left out overnight/24 hrs? (no cream of course)

my roommate just dumped mine out! she thinks it changes into something else. i can only assume she means oxidizing, but then again, she is from sedona (if you've met people from there you'll know what i mean).

- Asked by Female, 36-45, Student

If it's coming from a clean container (as opposed to your morning mug)  and there's no cream, milk, or sweeteners in it, black coffee is safe. Black coffee doesn't contain anything that bacteria can feed off so it doesn't spoil in the way that other foods do. But  play it safe and make a fresh pot if you're drinking from yesterday's mug or if you've added anything to your cup of Joe.

And just in case you're in the market for a new coffee pot, don't miss our review of the top coffeemakers. Prefer espresso? Get our picks for the best at-home brew.

- Response by ghresearchinstitute1900, A DIY Expert, Female, 36-45, New York

Sedona.... yeah. So she's the earthy-crunchy-hippie type. :)

No, there's no harm in it. It tastes somewhat bitter to me when it's reheated, but I'm sure it's safe.

- Response by Female, Boston, Who Cares?, Celebrity

nah it's safe but could have a taste change.

- Response by Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

It's safe for a day or two. I've brewed it to use in iced coffee, and after a few days, it starts to develop mold. But overnight is fine.

- Response by Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

I wouldn't recommend drinking coffee that's been left out overnight. I would worry that cold coffee would be a breeding ground for bacteria once it cooled. I once turned my coffeemaker off for a few hours and then tried to drink the coffee and it tasted terrible so I would have to assume that even if it really doesn't "spoil" in the true sense of the word, it's still not going to taste very good after sitting out all night.

Have a great weekend. :)

- Response by Female, 29-35

It should be fine. It may taste a little bitter.

- Response by A Creative, Male, Denver, 46-55, Science / Engineering

It would seem easier to time your coffee maker to make fresh coffee in the morning..If she threw it out hopefully she made fresh coffee..Don't sweat the small stuff and coffee tastes better made fresh. I also think you should wash your dishes before you go to bed so there won't be any leftover coffee hanging around. lol Rosey

- Response by Female, Tampa, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

It's fine. I had a roommate once who was a chemist . . . and she would leave whatever coffee we didn't drink in the pot for the next day and then aerate it (pour it between the pot and the cup a couple of times). Heated it up in the microwave, and it tasted the same as freshly brewed.

- Response by Female, 36-45, Lawyer

I have been drinking coffee brewed from the previous day for 20 years and the only difference is the taste. If there were harmful effects I would of been dead decades ago.

- Response by Female, 36-45

No. Day old coffee is just fine.

- Response by A Creative, Male, Boston, 36-45, Science / Engineering